[r-t] FCHs

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Thu May 20 18:24:01 UTC 2010

Simon Humphrey writes,

> It was a big shock to the Exercise in 1768, fifty years after the first peal
> of Oxford Treble Bob Major, when Christopher Wells discovered compositions
> of the method could be false even if all lead ends were different.

Indeed so, I am aware of that. I've never understand what sort of
bizarre mental blockage they had, because they weren't stupid. Surely if
a man like John Holt could figure out how to get the extent of Grandsire
Triples available with bobs, and if people like Noonan, Thurstans etc
could work out how to get true peals of Stedman, by this time they had
the tools and thinking processes to deal with falseness in any method.

It seems stranger to me, and needs more thought to confirm, that
internal falseness is avoided in most plain methods, than that it is
present in TD methods.

> There is an astonishing and
> beautiful relationship between the incidence and the FCH groups themselves,
> first discovered (as far as I know) by Ted Shuttleworth in the 1960's, which
> I've never seen published.

That sounds interesting - tell us!