[r-t] Diamond Delight Major

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Mon May 24 12:16:52 UTC 2010

> (Can anyone do better btw? I see Diamond Delight has been
> rung to peals before but can't find the compositions used
> - have a feeling they weren't that great but don't know
> for sure!)

This is exactly the problem that conductors have been facing for many years
i.e. How do I find a good composition for this particular method and compare
it with others. The majority won't have the programming and composing skills
of Don, Mark and others on this list. Even when they do, as Mark as
illustrated with the Pitman composition, existing published compositions are
rediscovered using a computer search. The result is that the original
composers are not credited and inferior compositions, found by
non-exhaustive multipart searches, are frequently rung.

I note that the report of the CC Compositions Committee (2010 CC Supplement)
says "in light of new composers claiming existing work as their own, a paper
is being prepared on the Authorship of Compositions". I will be interested
to read this.

The Composition Library Project http://www.changeringing.co.uk/complib/
would, if its aims are realised, solve both of these problems and several
more, and the prototype Complib software would already be able to answer
Mark's Diamond Delight Major question, if the existing collections of
compositions were loaded into it.

The project has been dormant for a year due to other distractions, but
obviously needs revitalising!

Graham