[r-t] Universality (was Diamond Delight Major)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu May 27 17:25:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> I knew that that this composition was frequently used for awkward methods,
> but I didn't realise quite how universal it is. I have just proved it
> against all 1382 rung b group TD methods, and it is true to 1040 of them -
> an amazing 75%.
>
> Any better contenders? (Middleton's 5056 scores as mere 61%).

If it's not too much trouble to run your software over them, I'd be
most interested in knowing how the following three fare:

5,056 Treble Dodging Major (no. 4346)
 23456    B  M  W
 ________________
 56234       2  -
 42356    3
 56342    a  -  a
 64523    -
 23645       2  -
 45362    2
(34256)   F,3W,In
(56234)   a  -  a
 63254          2
 42635       -  a
 23456    -
 ________________
a = F,In.
True to lead head B and false course heads BCDKOacdfYZ.
For Warwickshire Surprise or Minsmere Surprise above the treble
 contains all 24 each 56s, 7568s, 3456s and 5432s, and 72 or more
 little bell rollups.
For Cambridge Surprise above the treble contains 18 each 56s, 7568s,
 3456s and 5432s, 5 65s, and 54 or more little bell rollups.

5,088 Treble Dodging Major (no. 2421)
234567  V  B  W  H
__________________
52436         -
375642  2  -
635742        -
235647  -     2  3
__________________
Repeat twice.
True to lead B and false course heads BCDEacdfYZ.
For Warwickshire Surprise or Minsmere Surprise above the treble
 contains 72 combination rollups, including all 24 56s, and tittums.
For Cambridge Surprise above the treble contains 66 combination
 rollups, including 18 56s and 4 65s, and tittums.

5,056 Treble Dodging Major (no. 2420)
 23456   B  M  W  H
 __________________
 42356            -
(34625)        3  a
 56423      -     -
 25463         -  3
 56234   -        3
 42635      -     -
(63542)        -  a
 63542      3     3
 34625   -        3
 23456   -        2
a = F,In.
True to lead head B and false course heads BDEKacdefYZ.
For Warwickshire Surprise or Minsmere Surprise above the treble
 contains all 24 56s.
For Cambridge Surprise above the treble contains 18 56s and 4 65s.

"He confessed to starting with his conclusions; and though most
philosophers do this, most denounce it as treason to philosophy."
              -- Will Durant, _The Age of Faith_