[r-t] 147 TDMM

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Oct 3 14:09:53 UTC 2010

I've studied Richard's description of the new search algorithm with
interest. There seem to be no completely new innovations here, but the
key breakthrough appears to be the separation of the tree search into
two parts: first, the partitioning of the space into sets of
mutually-true leads, and second, the linkage search, seeking to join the
members of each set. Is this a fair summary?

I think this approach has been used before, in custom searches (Stedman
Triples springs to mind), but I wonder if it could be more widely
applied. It is obviously most useful when working on complete extents,
but may have applications to non-extent searches too. I'm imagining a
music-driven search in TD Major, for example, where the "plans" would be
driven from the forced inclusion of certain musical nodes, and exclusion
of others, with the majority of less-musical plans omitted. The
difficulty would be establishing, in each case, whether the time taken
to create N plans, and to run N linkage searches on each one, is less
than the time taken to run a single conventional search.

Some interesting possibilities, though.