[r-t] Regular Minor Methods with a Plain Course Extent

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 22:08:08 UTC 2010

There is only one example of a Minor method in the collection where the
Plain Course is the extent, namely I Can't Believe It's Not Plain Bob Treble
Place Minor.

I don't know what research has previously been done in this area, so I have
just written a program to generate such methods. There seem to be rather a
lot of them, even given the constraints I have imposed (Plain Bob lead ends,
no more than two consecutive blows in one place, no single change notations,
no 56 apart from the half lead). After 12 hours running it hasn't got far
through the search, although I have found around 750,000 examples.

The question is - What makes a good method of this type, and what further
constraints are needed to find them quickly?

I Can't Believe It's Not Plain Bob Treble Place Minor is clearly a rather
contrived example, which can be rung as Plain Bob. For such methods to be
worth ringing given the very long course, I think they need memorable
distinctive features, both for the inside path and the treble path. The
treble path should probably also have a simpler and more regular structure
than the inside bells.

Has anyone investigated this and found a good example?

As a taster, below is a random method from the search.

http://alturl.com/tt76d

Graham