[r-t] ringing-theory Digest, Vol 72, Issue 6

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Sep 20 14:04:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Stephen Penney <stephen at ucalegon.com> wrote:
> What I want is a 7-part composition of the standard eight, one lead of
> each method per part (i.e. 8 leads), with a cyclic part end. I suspect
> this isn't possible, but don't have the know-how to prove it.

1,792 Spliced Surprise Major (8 methods)
  2345678  Pudsey
  _______
- 3578264  Lincolnshire
  8654327  London
- 3586742  Cambridge
- 5642378  Bristol
  4536827  Superlative
- 5627483  Yorkshire
  7863542  Rutland
- 5678234
  _______
Repeat six times.
Contains 224 each Bristol, Cambridge, Lincolnshire, London, Pudsey,
Rutland, Superlative and Yorkshire, with 55 changes of method and
all the work of every method for every bell.
Contains no backstroke 87s.

"Problems in science are sometimes made easier by adding
complications."  -- Daniel Dennett, _Darwin's Dangerous Idea_