[r-t] Spliced Cinques & Max

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Sep 22 12:01:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
> You can designate any change of the Stedman as the lead end, so you simply
> state that the lead end change is the middle of a quick six.  As there's no
> requirement for calls to only occur at the lead end or half lead, this has
> no other consequences that I can see.

While the wording in the Decision leaves a bit of ambiguity, I don't
think it is quite correct to say that this solves the problem. It does
for the currently more popular use of Stedman in spliced (or
"spliced") with a start at the course end. But if you start Stedman in
the middle of a quick six, and end it at the course end, then you are
leaving it at a different point than you entered it, and you can't
call them both the lead end. Thus, it would appear the CC Decisions
say that such peals, of which have been rung, should not be recorded
as spliced.

"The first lesson of philosophy is that we may all be mistaken."
                           -- Will Durant, _Our Oriental Heritage_