[r-t] Spliced Cinques & Max

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Wed Sep 22 17:50:24 UTC 2010

Stephen Penney wrote:

> C.2: Peals consisting of extents and/or round blocks shall only be called
> Spliced if each extent or round block is spliced.
>
> So the example Richard gave of a peal of minor stating and ending with the
> same method would not be called "spliced", as it contains round blocks
> which aren't.

Nope.  (D)C.2 needs reading in conjunction with (D)B.2:

| Peals of Minimus, Doubles, Minor and Triples [...] shall
| consist of at least 5040 changes rung in any combination
| of the following, each starting from rounds:-
|
| (a) Extents, in which each of the possible rows at that
| stage occurs once and only once.
|
| (b) Round blocks of two or more extents in which each of
| the possible rows at that stage occurs the same number of
| times.

I would certainly interpret this to mean that the peal had
to be made up exclusively of extents and/or MEBs (round
blocks per (D)C.2(b)).  There's still a bit of ambiguity
here.  For example, the decisions don't say that extents and
MEBs can't overlap, or that all of the component rows for an
extent or MEB occur consecutively.  But I think we can
safely assume that was the intention.

So, the peal must be divisible into extents and MEBs, and
the MEBs must start and end with rounds.  This makes it
trivial to check algorithmically whether the rows of a peal
conform to (D)C.2 without understanding anything about the
peal.  Look at each batch of n! rows in turn.  If they're
not mutually true or next row is not rounds, call them part
of an MEB that hasn't yet finished and add the rows to those
from the next batch of n!.  Otherwise, call the rows an
extent (if there are n!) or an MEB and start afresh with the
next n! rows.  If you reach the end of peal while in an
unfinished MEB, call the touch false.

However, this does not provide the only way of dividing a
peal into extents and MEBs.  Nothing in the decisions state
that when partitioning the peal into extents and MEBs
you have to choose the largest possible number of extents
and MEBs.  So, under the current decisions, there's nothing
to stop you from calling the whole peal a single MEB even if
it happens also to be describable as seven extents.  And
then, even one change of method (pace MBD) is sufficient to
make the peal spliced.

RAS