[r-t] ringing the Mathieu group

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Apr 26 19:37:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM, John Camp <camp at bellringers.org> wrote:
> At 20:03 on 26 April 2011, Alexander Holroyd wrote:
>
>> Here is today's brain teaser.
>
> O Gor blimey!  I suppose you couldn't just go and have a pint or two
> with your mates, Ander?

It was perhaps just a few minutes too early in Vancouver for that when
he posed his question.

Ander, thank you for posing it. Even if John's is the only response it
provokes, it's clearly been worth it!

"The scientific legacy of the Middle Ages is modest indeed; yet it
includes the Hindu numerals, the decimal system, the conception of
experimental science, substantial contributions to mathematics,
geography, astronomy, and optics, the discovery of gunpowder, the
invention of eyeglasses, the mariner's compass, the pendulum clock,
and--apparently the most indispensable of all--the distillation of
alcohol."      -- Will Durant, _The Age of Faith_