[r-t] ringing the Mathieu group

Wyld Family e-mail wyld at waitrose.com
Sat Apr 30 22:29:22 UTC 2011

I think the following strategies could work.  If they do not it may take
some tedious arithmetic to find out.

I have two suggestions for the caters problem.  Both are based on organising
the required changes in to courses of original and linking them together
using 5ths place calls (bobs).  In the first I suggest joining, alternately,
forward and backward hunting courses with a 5ths place i.e.
9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.5.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.5
repeated 8 times.  This joins together 18 courses leaving an even number to
be introduced by Q sets of 5ths place bobs.  There are 18 Q sets that can
not be bobbed having been used in the basic block but that leaves at least 8
routes into the courses affected.

The second strategy is simply to use the 5th place bobs instead of either 9
or 1 with forward hunting throughout.  The usual constraints on Q sets of
bobs apply i.e. that the number of blocks into which the changes are
organised is changed by an even number.  Since the extent requires 10080
courses it might at first glance seem that you would inevitably end up with
the extent in two parts.  There are however 20160 courses to choose from
since each course can be rung in both directions.  There is no obvious
reason why adhering to the Q set rule you should not be able to reduce this
larger collection to two parts each containing the required changes once.
The two parts would be mirror images of each other and some of the courses
would be rung partly in one direction and partly in the other.  Since this
is how 720s of treble bob minor and 5040s of plain bob triples work it seems
worth trying here.

The Mathieu group may be easier to handle.  Again I suggest using x and one
of the other place notations alternately to organise the changes into
courses.  Use the other place notation as a call leaving the xs unaffected.
If I have worked it out correctly a Q set of such calls links in 7 courses
i.e. an odd number so it may be possible simply to join together the
required courses.  If not the option to use parts of some courses rung
backwards leading, as with the caters, to two mirror image blocks may
overcome the problem.

More interesting, at least from a ringing point of view, might be to
constrain the treble to plain hunting and change the place notation, when it
leads, to join courses together.

Colin