[r-t] Change ringing mentioned in "The Art of Computer Programming" Vol. 4A

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Dec 19 22:16:34 UTC 2011

Hi Simon. On Monday 13 Sep 2004 I wrote, to this list,

"Did anyone ever contact Knuth to find out how he knows about ringing?
Is anyone in correspondence with him? His Vol 4 of the 'The Art' has a
lot of ringing stuff - this was posted on changeringers last year as I
believe:

"http://www-cs-staff.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/news.html

"Would be interested to hear of any follow-up."

RAS and Ander have also referred to this volume and related papers
several times over the last few years, but as far as I can see no-one
figured out what the ringing connection is. I believe Knuth mentions an
E.S. Rapaport, or Rapaport-Strasser, plus a certain Carla Savage, as
being the origin of some or all of the ringing-related problems. No-one
seemed to know anything about any of them, either; possibly PhD students
or researchers who had been influenced by local college ringing societies?