[r-t] Extents of Minor methods

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Tue Dec 20 11:58:18 UTC 2011

On 20 Dec 2011, at 07:30, Robin Woolley wrote:
> Following posts by Mike Ovenden and Richard Smith in mid June 2005, I have
> obtained, as the first four members of a set L: 123456, 125463, 134256,
> 135264.
>
> It was stated that the whole of L must form a group and I note that we have
> two elements of order 3 and one of order 5. Must the entire group be of order 45? (It seems to simple!)

A rather intuitive way of thinking about this particular case is to note that 135264 is the second lead of eg plain bob minor and that 134256 is the lead head you get after a bob Home, so any lead head available ringing bob minor with standard bobs is available with just those two generators. Obviously this number is 60, as per previous messages. (NB, you still have to check 125463, but that's already included in your 60 so doesn't add anything)

Worth noting that a group of order 45 simply isn't possible in this context, the order of a subgroup must be a factor of the order of the group itself. 45 is not a factor of 60 (or even 120).

MF