[r-t] Principles

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Tue Jul 5 21:07:38 UTC 2011

PABS beat me to it!

Here is another method (a shorter one) in which all bells do the same
work (i.e. their blue lines are vertical translates of one another), yet
it cannot be viewed as a principle (i.e. it cannot be split into leads in
such a way that the lead-end change is an n-cycle, where n is the number
of bells).

-123458-1238-1678-145678
http://www.boojum.org.uk/cgi-bin/line.pl?bells=8&pn=-2345-23-67-4567&lines=1&line=2&line1=b&line1c=red&line2=b&line2b=2&action.x=1

I find it fairly amazing that such a thing can exist.  Is there a general
theory of such methods?  Can someone come up with a nice one that people
would want to ring (preferably with a nice peal compositions available)?
What is the smallest number of bells on which one exists?

With regard to the original query, principles seems a very sensible
classification to me - there is a good case to be made that they represent
the pinacle of elegance in method construction.

Now I'm very intrigued by these "fake principles" too...