[r-t] Principles

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Tue Jul 5 22:30:16 UTC 2011

On 5 Jul 2011, at 23:21, Alexander Holroyd wrote:
> Mark is right that the work of 1 and 2 is different if your definition of work includes what other bells are doing around you.  This must always be the case in such a method, I think (if "around" extends arbitrarily far away).

This is not quite true, they are only actually different if you wish to maintain a) your sense of "front and back of change" and b) your direction in time. They are related directly by a symmetry transformation therefore are equivalent in all respects within the framework that the symmetry exists in (eg ignoring the fact that changes are spread when rung and not a static conceptual permutation).

Yes, in practice, they would be different.

MF