[r-t] Principles

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Wed Jul 6 15:36:39 UTC 2011

On 6 Jul 2011, at 13:33, Matthew Frye wrote:
> As I understood it, the defining feature is the pair of bells hunting from the back down to the front, the remaining bells making places in their positions till disturbed. (Naturally, this alters the length of the lead between stages and so wouldn't be recognised as the same method my the cc, for those that care about such things.)

Argh! Wrong way of looking at it. I implicitly assumed the pair of bells hunting down to the front put a length on the lead and the places simply had to fit around that (precluding this working on 4n-2 bells) when infact the length of the places can be set arbitrarily and the bells hunting down just come at the right time. For Royal then: x145670x123450x123890x167890. Max now gives us a second similar method with a shorter lead: x16789Tx14567Tx123450ETx123890ET.

I've also looked at having the hunting bells doing treble bob, this changes the places into something of the form dodge place dodge place dodge and gives a method with all bells dodging at the same time, I think it's time to branch out and start looking at other structures. Changing the offset of the 2 lines within this structure I don't think will be possible.

MF