[r-t] Definition of a call

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 22:17:44 UTC 2011

The definition of a call was changed at the CC meeting on 30 May 2011,
following a request at the previous year's meeting to accommodate the
variable treble Grandsire Triples rung at St Chad's, Birmingham on 24 Nov,
2009 (RW 2010, p217).

The decision has been changed as follows:-

(E)A.2

A call is a means of passing from one course of a method to another. It is
not part of the definition of the method. A call may be effected in one of
the following ways:

(a) by altering the places made between two or more consecutive rows without
altering the length of a lead;

(b) by omitting consecutive changes, altering the length of a lead.

I read this as saying that a call is either (a) OR (b). However the peal in
question had a 34567 single at the same time as changing the hunt bell,
which it does not seem to cover properly as it is (a) AND (b). Perhaps it
would have been better phrased if the words "one of" had been left out.

I also feel it was an opportunity missed not to change "course" in the first
sentence to "lead" or "row" to solve the problem described at the link
below.

http://changeringing.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Calls_that_pass_to_another_part_of
_the_same_course

Graham