[r-t] Definition of a call

Phillip Barnes phil at piltdown.org.uk
Thu Jun 9 07:48:06 UTC 2011

While I would not disagree with the point about qualifications of individual CC members, the usual effect of this is for them to vote slavishly for the status quo and I for one found it a pleasant surprise that despite the usual expressions of wild concern (the basis of ringing will be destroyed, this will tear apart the space-time continuum etc)  from the more conservative end of the members they voted for change.

However, even when they vote against one's position, it very dangerous territory to start defining what gives people the right to an opinion or vote on a particular topic. Wars of Independence have been fought for less :-)

The change is permissive, and had the desired effect. It may not have been absolutely the most elegant way of allowing that desired effect but it was good enough and I am sure that it can and will be tweaked.

The key issue is that it seeks to find a way to accurately describe what the band were ringing - in the sense of what was in their mind and how they went about ringing it, rather than a mathematical definition of what was rung. There are various "titles" for this variation of ringing. When we did this in Birmingham about 20 years ago it acquired the title "New Start". We also played about with it with the OUS in the 1980's and I remember calling it "Kingham style" because we first did it after meeting short for a peal there. All the conductor does is say "Go again" but in the middle of the course, rather than at the lead end. We rang a quarter of Bristol Maximus on the plan around 1992 - and certainly didn't do so by starting with Original Maximus and having a lot of different calls.

It can be fun, it's challenging ring, challenging to compose (although it raises the possibility of peals in a single method without bobs or singles (my disappointment is that the Methods Committee defined it as a "call" when it's really just starting again) and may even allow composers to cram more and exciting music than is conventionally possible into peals of recognisable methods that mortals can ring.

There's more to change ringing than rules and maths! Try it and enjoy.

Phil