[r-t] Construction and Architecture in Compositions

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 8 19:44:33 UTC 2011

Very interesting post Philip.

While I strongly support much of this, I do feel there is still plenty of
room for "construction" as well, and much still to be done here.

For many ringers, the way to make progress is by incremental steps from
what's already known.  That could often mean e.g. a peal in a standard
method (one rung at many towers) with the standard calls.  If so, I'd much
rather it were an elegant and musical one.  MBD's recent Bristol
innovations show that this field is far from dead.  (And we are still
waiting for your bobs-only extent of Erin Triples...)

One generally doesn't get to build the Sydney Opera house without building
alot of plain old houses first.

Ander