[r-t] round trip terminology

Frederick Karl Kepner DuPuy neminicontradicente at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 30 06:15:08 UTC 2011

Hello, all. Forgive the amateur's question: but there's a piece of
basic terminology that seems to be missing and I'm wondering how
people have discussed it in the past.

To state the obvious: in the seven leads that make up a plain course
of Plain Bob Major, each individual working bell makes six 'round
trips' down to lead then back up to lie behind. Six trips is fairly
common for Major, but by no means universal; a course of Bristol Major
(also seven leads) includes only three round trips, for example. A
course of Little Bob has only two, whatever the stage.

Obviously the extent to which we are aware of these 'round trips'
varies from person to person and from method to method. (They are more
noticeable in methods which you ring algorithmically, and less so in
methods you ring mainly by place bells.)

My question is whether there's any term more appropriate than 'round
trip' which I should be using here. And has this particular feature of
a method been much discussed?

Thanks,
Rick