[r-t] Coset labeling

Simon Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Nov 20 13:44:42 UTC 2011

Maybe this suggestion is too obvious, but if I remember my undergraduate group theory correctly:

The coset containing r is Gr. So r and s are in the same coset if and only if their cosets are the same: Gr = Gs.

Gr = Gs if and only if s * inverse(r) is in G.

If you don't mind having a table of size |G|, then you can just use some kind of hash table to represent the membership function for G, and look up s*inverse(r) in it.

If you know what G is in some other way (e.g. as in your example, G is S_(n-1)) then you can easily test whethe s*inverse(r) has the correct fixed bell. Or for A_(n-1) you can test the fixed bell and compute the parity of the row.

Simon