[r-t] Single Darlaston Bob Triples

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:43:47 UTC 2011

On 23 November 2011 19:45, Ted Steele <ted.steele at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 23/11/2011 18:13, Alan Foster wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>       Would some one be kind enough to check my interpretation of a
>> quarter peal of Single Darlaston Bob Triples (pn
>> 5.1.5.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.5 lh 1).  The composition (J.T.Perry (Bell
>> News 17/131) rung recently at Kintbury) is:-
>>
>> 234567  2  3
>> 625374  s
>> 563274  s  -
>> 362574  -  -
>> 235674  s  -
>> 536274  -  -
>> repeat 5 times.
>>
>> To me this implies that at the first single the six should go into the
>> hunt, to replace the 2.  Using pn 5.1.5.1 for a bob, and 567.1.5.1 for
>> a single I can reproduce on Abel the first part.  So have I come up
>> with the correct calls,
>>
>  I haven't checked the whole thing nor seen the original composition, but
> a quick check shows that you are using the same calls as those given by
> Eddie W Martin in his book "Discovering Twin-Hunt Triples Methods", i.e
> 5th's for 7ths as treble passes from 4ths to 3rds going in for Bob and 567
> in same place for single. They certainly fit the first couple of courses. I
> will be surprised if EWM does not respond in due course. If you are
> interested in these methods I would recommend the book to you; get it from
> the Whiting Society.
>
> Hello
Thanks Ted. (I don't have anything to do with its production and sale - no
royalties - but it was fun thinking it out & eventually writing it although
there are too many typos )
You are correct in what you interpret to be the calls. Single Darlaston was
put together by John Carter and first published in the BN November 1st 1890
p.  387. The comp of first peal is on p350 Oct 17 1891. In the following
decade the method seems to have gained popularity and there are numerous
comps to be found in the BN Unfortunately when writing my little book, I
did not have easy access to the BN and although my notes gave these calls,
I did not have a copy of any of those peals so made one up.
Single Darlaston is one of 12 twin-hunt triples methods (out of 66) where
the structure of its lead block can be made symmetrical about the path of
the treble by simply altering one place in one half so that there is mirror
symmetry in the PN of one half against that of the other half This is
advantageous in that such a block can be set out either with backstrokes
all + or all - ie it is reversible and a single which alters the flow of +
and - can be used...(if the block is not reversible then the use of such a
single would eventually run false)
Cheers
Eddie