[r-t] Stedman Doubles in Campanologia

Robert Bennett rbennett at woosh.co.nz
Mon Oct 10 10:43:26 UTC 2011

 The "parting change" means the six end. "...excepting every sixth change,
which is _double_ on the four first bells, and for distinction is called a
_Parting _change." Stedman means that 5th place is made at that point.
 From the normal start, that would be the third change from the
beginning. In Stedman's day, change meant the actual change between two
rows.

I think that cutting compass means hunting wrong, and Stedman means that
the six following the first parting change (the first slow six) has
wrong hunting.

But why?  "Compass" mant how high the bell swung, so "cutting compass"
probably meant that it swung less one stroke and more at the next.
Ringers probably got a lot more pull at backstroke and relatively less
pull at hand in Stedman's day. The pulley, or "rowle" as Stedman refers to
it, probably added a fair bit of friction at handstroke when the rope
was bent round it. At backstroke, the rope would be free of the pulley.
This probably suits right place ringing, and also the open handstroke lead.
Hunting the other way required a bit more effort.

 There was a lot of information about bell hanging in the earlier book
Tintinnalogia, which section was supposed to have been contributed by
Richard Duckworth.

 On Mon 10/10/11 10:41 AM , Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net sent:
  I've been looking at the famous section on "Stedman's Principle" in
 Campanologia. Fabian gives an extent, differing from today's practice by
 virtue of two singles made in 123, but with the modern start, at the
 fourth changes of a quick six.

 I have always assumed that this start is used because it marks one of
 the two points of symmetry within the lead of the method. Fabian's last
 two paragraphs appear to be the only place in his exposition where the
 start is mentioned, but I can't for the life of me figure out what he
 actually means. Can someone more knowledgeable translate please?

 Here is the text:

 "The first Parting change is here made the third change at the
 beginning, and that six cuts compass.

 "In all the several ways of ringing this peal, if the Parting changes
 are made at the fore-stroke, as in course they are in this here prickt,
 then cutting compass is always on the same sixes, as in this peal: but
 when the Parting changes are made at back-stroke, then the contrary six
 always cuts compass to what doth here."

 I think "cuts compass" means "is hunted right place" but that is as far
 as I've got in trying to understand this bit.