[r-t] Method symmetry

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Wed Aug 22 20:59:15 UTC 2012

Ander writes,

> So far as I can see, the working bell lines are not symmetric in Good and
> Evil (the treble lines are, but of course that can be achieved very
> easily).

Ah yes, I had forgotten, but you are right about the working bells. The
point about the treble line is that, although it is reflectively
symmetric, the methods committee refused to classify it as a method with
a symmetric treble path (which would then make the method an Alliance
type) since the point of symmetry is about a row not a change.

The argument hinged around the interpretation of definition B1(a):

"A well-formed path is one in which the hunt bell has the same path if
it is rung backwards and is symmetrical about two places made half a
lead apart."

If you interpretation "place" as an actual place being made, rather than
just a position within the lead, then the definition excludes the
Evil/Good-style reflective symmetry.

It is of course difficult to imagine how the working bells could follow
reflectively-symmetrical paths with this type of treble path (whilst
preserving truth, anyway).