[r-t] Plain Bob lead heads/ends (was ringing-theory Digest, Vol 89, Issue 9)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Feb 9 20:26:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM, King, Peter R <peter.king at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> For single hunt methods on even or odd stages a plain bob lead end must have a plain bob lead head with place notation 12 or 1n (or 12n or 1 for odd stages).

Careful. I think you mean *all* of its lead ends being Plain Bob (not
"a Plain Bob lead end") imply its lead heads are Plain Bob. It's easy
to have a method with only some of its lead ends Plain Bob, but
without any of its non-rounds lead heads being Plain Bob. For example,
any method without Plain Bob lead heads, but a seconds place lead end,
does have at least one Plain Bob lead end. Less trivial examples are
also possible, I believe.

I believe Philip's point was that the only way to have the complete
set of lead ends of a method be the same as those of Plain Bob at the
same stage, is if the set of lead heads are the same as those of Plain
Bob, too. I presume he will correct me if I am mistaken.

"Ironically, Poets are popularly supposed to treat of matters
ethereally remote from the day-to-day concerns of the man in the
street. In reality, they bring us down _to_ Reality -- and with a
bump."     -- Christopher Palmer, notes on Britten's _War Requiem_