[r-t] ringing-theory Digest, Vol 89, Issue 11

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Feb 10 12:30:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:55 AM, King, Peter R
<peter.king at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> the standard calling is only guaranteed for symmetric regular methods

Well, that all depends upon what "regular" means, doesn't it.

If by "regular" you mean "plain bob lead ends" then that is
insufficient for the standard calling to work. You need to correct
flow of in- and out-of-course
changes, too. However, while not explicitly stated, it appeared from
something he wrote that Eddie might mean "regular" to mean "the usual
calling is guaranteed to work," or something equivalent.

Oh, and assuming you define the standard calling in terms of a
suitable pair of bells being affected or not instead of simply with
Wrongs and Homes, I believe it is true for any set of lead ends
corresponding to a five lead course, so long as the method has the
usual symmetry, has the treble the right number of blows in each
position, and the method has the correct flow of in- and out-of-course
rows; Plain Bob-ness is not required. If I'm mistaken about that, I'm
sure we'll hear it soon! :-)

"What would a Martian visitor think to see a human being laugh?
It must look truly horrible: the sight of furious gestures,
flailing limbs, and thorax heaving in frenzied contortions."
                           -- Marvin Minsky, _The Society of Mind_