[r-t] Minor extents with single changes

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Feb 10 17:28:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Matthew Frye <matthew at frye.org.uk> wrote:
> Tangentially: I know such methods* don't produce extents in general, but are there specific cases where they can? I can't see a reason they shouldn't if you allow singles and have a carefully crafted method, but I am not aware of any examples.

Whatever the answer about extents, as you are probably aware, but some
reading this list may not be: 1440s are easily produced for the
general case.

"On one occasion Newton invited some friends to his chamber. As he
went to his study to fetch more wine, some thought came into his head.
So absorbed did he become that he completely forgot about the wine and
his friends waiting downstairs. Either his mind was indeed very far
away, or the company was extremely boring. Absentmindedness can be a
very useful skill."             -- Marcello Gleiser, _The Dancing Universe_