[r-t] 4-bell runs

Alan Reading alan.reading at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 10:46:36 UTC 2012

I presume this figure is arrived at by counting the number of 4-bell runs
of a given type (eg (90ET) anywhere within the change, multiplying by 2 to
account for inverses (since the comp is palindromic there will be the same
number), and then multiplying by the number of parts?
This means it counts things like T123, ET12 etc in a 12-part (or T234, ET23
etc in an 11-part). It's a good way to compare cyclic compositions but
perhaps calling it the "number of four bell rollups" is a little misleading.

I believe this measure gives 4356 for the Pipe 11-part.

I'm sure even more is possible with more designer methods although at some
point it's going to become a trade off between the size of the score and
the desirability of the methods.

Cheers,
Alan