[r-t] Bobs only Stedman Triples

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Thu Jun 21 23:46:56 UTC 2012

At about the same time as Andrew Johnson produced his famous bobs-only
l0-part, he discovered a way of splitting the rows into five identical
two-part blocks but could not join them without singles (Nigel Newton
independently discovered the same block). Andrew says that he pointed
out at the time that this block was very similar to the 10-part peal
(containing only two sixes per part that do not appear in the 10-part).
I must have missed this, or I am sure I would have looked into it further.

Anyway, 17 years later Andrew has found that by mixing together the two
blocks more bobs-only peals can be found. The peal we rang this evening
has one additional linkage which is quite complex: adding a pair of bobs
jumps from one half of the peal to the other but introduces a false six.
The corresponding six is got by bobbing two elements of a Q-set and
omitting a bob. The attached sheet attempts to show how it all works:
- corresponding sixes from different parts are on the same row
- the sixes introduced by teh twin-bob linkage are highlighted in orange
- the part q-sets are yellow
- the omits are green
- other linking q-sets of omits are yellow

Using this and another twin bob linkage, Andrew now has 148 new
compositions.

PABS