[r-t] Long length Cambridge Major

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jun 12 09:24:57 UTC 2012

ringing-theory-bounces at bellringers.net wrote on 12/06/2012 08:35:15:

> From: Philip Earis <Earisp at rsc.org>
> To: "ringing-theory at bellringers.net" <ringing-theory at bellringers.net>
> Date: 12/06/2012 08:35
> Subject: [r-t] Long length Cambridge Major
> Sent by: ringing-theory-bounces at bellringers.net
>
> I have a pressing compositional problem.
>
> I need a composition for a 10k of Cambridge Major, and soon (next
> day or so really).
>
> Simplicity/ ease of calling preferred (a simple metric would be to
> minimise calls, maximise tenors-together sections, multi-part
> structure if possible).
>
> I see there are a couple of options listed on http://
> www.cccbr.org.uk/rc/tower_standard.php.  These are a bit "bob-
> course" flavoured though.
>
> Can anybody suggest anything else?
>
> Many thanks!
Some answers:
I think these are 40 plain courses
(which isn't enough - 8960).
12345678
12357648
12756348
14763258
12563478
16745238
12734568
16724538
12645738
12653748
12376548
12364578
16432758
12745368
16723458
16374528
16427358
14327658
12476358
12365748
12763548
16743528
16345728
17324568
15463278
15376428
15347628
14632578
15362478
15324678
15746328
15476238
15423768
15637428
12374658
16453728
14752368
14376258
15346278
12546378

Here are 60 bob courses - 13440:
12345678
16345728
13542678
16325478
13425678
15472368
12736458
13572468
15267438
17643258
17653428
12467538
15247368
16453728
12746538
17436258
17542368
14762538
15643728
16352748
12653748
12574368
14275368
13574628
16375248
13275648
16342578
16243758
16523748
17623548
13254678
12643578
16357428
17562438
12457368
13527648
17325648
13547268
12745368
12765438
17264538
14653278
14623758
15623478
16324758
12673458
16372458
15724368
13247658
13752648
15673248
13457628
16354278
14527368
17465238
14567238
15764238
14352678
14736528
13274568

Another short touch which works well:
30 of b p p p b b b p p p b b giving 11520.
12345678
17543628
16542738
16347258
13245768
15746328
17342658
13645278
17643258
15346278
12543768
17546238
15647238
16543278
12643578
17542368
16547328
13642758
15246738
15742638
16243758
17645328
16743528
12546378
13745628
12547638
17243568
12346758
17345268
12745368

This is a two-part touch, with part-end 15642378, so
it looks like there are all 60 courses with 1..4...8 fixed,
so try calls in the touch not changing the path of 4 and 8
e.g. at positions 1 and 4.
Experimenting with different calls shows you can omit all the
bobs at 1 and just have extra bobs at 4, and have a three
part with part-ends 678, and with 18 courses per part to
get just over 10000

10368 Cambridge Surprise Major
Andrew Johnson

12345678
________
17642538 FH
13547268 FH
16243758 FH
15743268 WFH
16245378 FH
17346528 FH
12547638 FH
13647528 WFH
12543768 FH
16743528 WFH
12546378 FH
17342658 FH
15642378 WFH
17345268 FH
16247538 FH
13546728 FH
12746538 WFH
13542678 FH
________
3-part

F=fourths

You might be able to adjust the start for different music.

Is this good enough?

Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.