[r-t] Hubbard

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Thu Jun 14 07:47:48 UTC 2012

Thanks for the various replies.

I was never questioning the existence of bobs-only PB7 compositions, merely asking if they'd been rung.

Andrew Johnson and Matthew Frye do provide the same example of a solitary rung peal of bobs-only PB7. However, there does seem to be the risk of people making dodgy conclusions or over-interpreting the evidence.  For example:

Robin Woolley: "Henry Hubbard's comp. seems to have been rung most recently at Swaffham Bulbeck on 14 November 2011, according to Bellboard"

Are you sure?  The was a Hubbard composition rung then, but I'd strongly suspect it was going to be this one, which is arguably the simplest extent of Plain Bob Triples (and incidentally, why is this so hard to find online, or indeed not in the diary?  It only seems to be in a footnote on the CC Records Committee website)

==
5040 Plain Bob Triples by Henry Hubbard
23456  W  M  H
--------------
42635  -  -  3
34625  -     3
10 part, calling single halfway and end
==

Simon Humphrey: "Didn't Annable produce a bobs-only composition in the 18th century? In fact, wasn't bobs-only PB7 the first peal ever rung?"

Do you have any details to support this? As far as I know, no composition exists for the peal that may have been rung at St Sepulchre in 1690.  The CC Records Committee website gives the composer of the PB7 at Mancroft in 1715 as John Garthon, though no composition is included (http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rc/first_peals/5040_plain_bob_triples.php)

It never ceases to amaze me how many "classic" compositions are extremely hard (or impossible) to find online. Not only the composition for the first peal rung, but things like Rod Pipe's classic RABS or laminated, or even Chandler's 23 spliced, are pretty hard to find online. I hope Graham John's database is progressing - any updates? - and I think it would also make sense for the CC compositions quango to be working in tandem with this to address the big gaps and fragmentation.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, number 207890 - Registered office: Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF