[r-t] Bobs only Stedman Triples

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 06:27:53 UTC 2012

On 28 June 2012 13:15, Alexander Holroyd <holroyd at math.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, edward martin wrote:
>
>> They certainly are an amazing discovery;but  the achievement was
>> surely figuring out how to programme a computer to look for them and
>> then having the expertise in knowing how to make use of what the
>> computer had found...no perhaps you are right an amazing achievement
>

> I don't know where this idea came from, but if I've understood correctly it
> is quite wrong.

But you do know where this idea came from  you say so in your next paragraph:

> As Philip pointed out, the computer-assisted part was finding the two
> different 10-part structures (the two blocks of Johnson's 10-part and the
> single 10-part block that cannot be joined by ordinary q-sets).  This was
> done 17 years ago,

Doesn't my adding:

 >>then having the expertise in knowing how to make use of what the
>> computer had found...no perhaps you are right an amazing achievement

suggest to you that I am in admiration of his discovering what as you
say may have been there for anyone to see over the past 17 years, yet
clearly was not so bleeding obvious?

Best wishes
Eddie

and the blocks have been public knowledge ever since (and