[r-t] 8 spliced atw 7com

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Mar 29 08:27:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:45 AM, James Hustler <mcwomble at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are going back to ringing on the moon aren't we?
>
> I can't remember all the details now, but as you essentially end at the
> place you first started, you have traversed a circle. Mark considers there
> is therefore a change of method between the Yorkshire and Bristol in the
> above example. The snap finish is not a circle.

Not the moon, Looking Glass Land.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly: do the following two
touches have different numbers of changes of method?

578 Spliced Surprise Major (2 methods)
 23456   W   H
 _____________
 24536   1   2   BFFBBFB.BB.B.
(42536)  2*      BFFBBFB.B.B
 _____________
2* = - s.

576 Spliced Surprise Major (2 methods)
23456  W  H
___________
45236  1  1  BFFBBFB.BB.
23456  1  1  BFFBBFB.BB.
___________

If so, wow.

But it's irrelevant to Roddy's original question, which can be
rephrased "Is there a composition (normal length) of the standard 8,
all the work with just 7 changes of method, as they are conventionally
counted; or 7 changes of method if not a round block but 8 changes of
method if a round block, if they are counted as it is averred Mark
Davies counts them."

Which I think anyone who prefers the latter should have understood the
question to mean in the first place. Even Philip Earis, who appears to
strenuously object to the name "standard eight", seems to recognize
what others mean by it when they use it.

"When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone,
“it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
       -- Lewis Carroll, _Through the Looking Glass_