[r-t] 8 spliced atw 7com

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Thu Mar 29 08:31:03 UTC 2012

Roddy writes,

> If one rings Yorkshire and then changes into Cambridge there is one
 > change of method but two methods and this is irrespective of how it
 > comes round.

This is the conductor's view, I suppose. But if the composition is a
round block, then it is not a single strand laid out in time, but a
circle. The circle is the same no matter where you begin to follow it.

Hence from the point of view of the composer (which of course is the
only true viewpoint :-) you have two changes of method in this touch.
Adopting this point of view allows one to consider com as a fundamental
structural property of a composition - or of a part within a multipart.
It is much more useful, and mathematically satisfying, than the
"conductor's" count.