[r-t] 8 spliced atw 7com

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Thu Mar 29 20:22:03 UTC 2012

GACJ writes,

> What about handstroke and backstroke. If you have a composition that is an
> odd number of changes, then a rotation will have rows at a different stroke.
> Furthermore an even length composition rotated by an odd number of changes
> will have all the rows at the opposite stroke.

Ah yes! Not a particularly commonplace situation, of course, and most
methods with suitable properties are at odd stages, meaning the music
won't alter as significantly as it might on an even stage (wraps). But
nonetheless a valid point. So we really need the starting transposition
plus the parity of the number of rows to reach it.