[r-t] Spliced minor in whole courses

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Tue May 8 12:58:19 UTC 2012

Paul Needham:
===
Not *QUITE* what you were talking about but I thought the below was well known? Example is 6 methods obviously and I leave it to anyone interested enough to work out the other methods that fit but I worked this through many years ago before you were even in short trousers. Each lead is uniquely defined despite not having a plain lead of each method (bit like spliced major!)
5040 Spliced S Minor (2 - 42 Methods ATW)
                         23456
Westminster            - 23564
Saundby                  45623
Ravenshead               64352
Mansfield Woodhouse      36245
Costock                  52436
Mission                - 64523
Repeat 34 times
===

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your email. I think we're talking slightly at tangents to each other.  I haven't really examined your composition, but isn't it basically the simple Relfe's splice 720, with trivial variants to fit?

I'm keen on Multi-Extent Block 5-part structures that use some of the tricks in the minor toolbox to give much more variety of methods.  The whole-course JSW / Pearce / Ellis compositions that sparked this thread are clearly a very neat route to achieving this. The simple chopped-up 15-parts in my previous email were along the lines of another avenue.  The Relfe-splice clearly has potential for expansion / nesting (eg did you see the links / ideas discussed at http://bellringers.net/pipermail/ringing-theory_bellringers.net/2011-December/004060.html?). Removing the constraint of extents and into MEBs should presumably allow much more scope for creativity...

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, number 207890 - Registered office: Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF