[r-t] Falseness Groups

Alan Reading alan.reading at googlemail.com
Wed May 16 19:43:52 UTC 2012

I haven't looked at what goes wrong in this example specifically but the
general answer is it comes down to the incidence of the falseness. I.e.
Exactly which leads of which courses are false with which others.

For example Pudsey and Dorchester both have B falseness which means you
can't ring the whole of the 24365 course and the whole of the plain course.
But the incidence of the falseness may allow parts of both courses to be
rung. In Pudsey the lead the M & the W is may be rung in both the 23456
course and the 24365 course but Dorchester has an incidence of B falseness
here and so such a composition would not be true even if it were to Pudsey.

> I had always thought that a composition true to one method would be true
> to another with the same falseness group

Not in general (see above). What is true is that a composition constructed
in whole courses (so if you ring one lead of a given course you also ring
the other 6) will have this property. The composition you give is clearly
not like this - it has s3/s5 for example.

Cheers,
Alan