[r-t] Quixhill, etc

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri May 18 11:48:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk> wrote:
> The package I usually use for finding which groups compositions are true to
> gives the Quixhill comp. as being true to group 'a' (!!Little 'a') only.
> Since it's a long time since I used this package and may have forgotten how
> to use it properly, is this correct?

Yes, I, or perhaps more accurately, my software, believes that that is
correct: the only group it is universally true to is 'a'.

So, I suppose, you could ring it to the unnamed method that is eighth
place Derwent. Though, of course, it would be a silly choice for that
method as you can get a lot more music out of it than with a
composition true to Quixhill.

"A language is a tradition, a way of grasping reality, not an arbitrary
assemblage of symbols." -- Jorge Luis Borges, _The Gold of the Tigers_,
                           tr Alastair Reid