[r-t] Proving software for a Mac?

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Sep 7 21:16:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM, John Camp <camp at bellringers.org> wrote:
> At 21:45 on 07 September 2012, Don Morrison wrote:
>
>> I use the free VirtualBox
>
> Do you play virtual cricket in the US, then, Don?

You will probably be pleased to learn that the point of that joke is
completely lost on me.

I do have some Wiffle* Cricket paraphernalia, that I occasionally
break out at ringers' gatherings.

* I've no idea whether or not this metaphor translates to the UK.
  Wiffle ball is a variant of baseball played with light, hollow,
  plastic balls and bats. I've no idea what the real name is for
  similar toys modeled on cricket gear.

P.S. Based on my limited experience watching cricket, I honestly do
think it is a better spectator sport than baseball, actually quite good
fun to watch. My biggest problem is I've never been able to understand
how to tell when a game (or is it a match?) is over. Other than, of
course, that the players all go away. Though even then, I gather
sometimes they might come back again the next day, sort of like an
adjourned chess game.

Were this c-r instead of r-t, I suppose I'd have to make some sort of
excuse for how this can conceivably relate to ringing. I suspect the
quote in my .sig could just as easily apply to change ringing as it
does to cricket, couldn't it? Other than the "millions" part.

"It is not true that the English invented cricket as a way of making
all other human endeavours look interesting and lively; that was
merely an unintended side effect. I don't wish to denigrate a sport
that is enjoyed by millions, some of them awake and facing the right
way, but it is an odd game."       -- Bill Bryson, _Down Under_