[r-t] Washbrook’s Surprise Principle

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Fri Aug 9 14:07:01 UTC 2013

> From: Philip Earis <Earisp at rsc.org>
> I am intrigued by the snippet from today's RW highlighting the
> intransigence of the ayatollahs of 100 years ago.  Does anyone know
> what "Washbrook's Surprise Principle" is? I've searched for it on
> methods.org.uk<http://methods.org.uk>, but for some reason it
> doesn't seem to be listed...
>

> ----
>
> 100 Years Ago
>
> The Ringing World, 8 August, 1913 Selected by the Editor
>
> ODD CHANGES.
>
> Most people who understand anything about method construction have
> probably anticipated criticism of the method rung at Caversharn and
> published as ?Washbrook?s Surprise Principle,? particularly in
> regard to its name. But the opinion passed upon it by the Legitimate
> Methods Committee is as crushing as it is brief.
>
> ?WASHBROOK?S SURPRISE PRINCIPLE.?
>
> To the Editor.
>
> Sir,?The system produced by Mr. Washbrook and rung at Caversham, is
> asymmetrical, and therefore illiegitimate; it is not principle and
> it is not Surprise.
>
> The Legitimate Methods Committee: H. Law James
>
> H. Dains
> J. A. Trollope Edwin H. Lewis
>
> ----
Philip - some simple research shows the following:
http://www.cccbr.org.uk/felstead/rung.php?d=15&m=7&y=1913
Peal    PB-ID   Status  Place   Method
1       490-D55 OK      Caversham, Reading, S Peter Berkshire   Caversham
Major
RW 0123.0055 - Published as Washbrook's Surprise Principle

and here is the method:
https://rsw.me.uk/blueline/methods/view/Caversham_Major
36.18.34X34.56X34X18X34.56X

Andrew Johnson