[r-t] Forward/reverse cyclic [was Emergency peal composition]

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Thu Jan 3 08:54:14 UTC 2013

A recent discussion with Chris Poole revealed that Ander's idea, of
alternating between cyclic courses rung forward and backward, has
pedigree. Chris used a similar plan in some compositions of London and
Bristol Royal produced in 2001-2003; see for example:

https://sites.google.com/site/christopherjpoole/royal#5160londonno3
https://sites.google.com/site/christopherjpoole/royal#5040bristol

In these arrangements, two closely-spaced conventional calls are used to
effect the transition between forward and reverse courses (and Chris
points out there are plenty of runs within the transitions), but in a
2003 email to me he also mentioned the possibility of using a big bob to
do the job in one call. I don't think either of us followed this up at
the time.

Does anyone know of any earlier examples of this plan?

Anyway, I've been pushing this a bit further, to try to come up with
something more approachable than our 14-bell spliced efforts. This
composition follows the lines of Chris's original work, but using the 16
call, and I think looks very ringable:

5000 Jennie's Endeavour Surprise or Triton Delight Royal
Comp. MBD

234567890
52436     8 (W)
64523     1 x9 (M,xH)