[r-t] Early peals of Cambridge Maximus

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 23 23:00:19 UTC 2013

On a related note, I was a bit surprised to find that the following
composition of Cambridge Royal is not better known.  It is ultra-simple,
and to my taste it is almost as musical as almost any more complicated
one, and certainly better than most 2-parts.  Why is this not the
off-the-shelf standard?

5,040 Cambridge Surprise Royal
Donald F Morrison (no. 6286)

23456  M   W   H
64352  -   ss  -
56342      -
Repeat four times, omitting ss
from the second part.

If preferred, may be rearranged as
23456  M   W  H
64352  -      -
56342  ss  -
Repeat four times, omitting ss
from the third part.

or as
23456  M   W   H
64352  -       -
56342      -   ss
Repeat four times, omitting ss
from the second part.

Each of the three arrangements contains the same rows, including 12 56s
and 80 little bell rollups at the back.
Also true to Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Swindon, Superlative No.2, New
Cambridge and Rutland.
True to all (in course) BCDEFGKNT and (out of course) BCFK1K2N1N2a1a2bcef.