[r-t] Complexity of extents

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Thu Jun 13 16:05:41 UTC 2013

I am interested in measuring the "complexity" of extents, with a view to seeing / exploring some "maximally complex" extents.  Please note that I'm not talking about method complexity, metrics to judge how complex or static a method is etc.

Pretty much every extent that has ever been rung consists of simple, often short, repeated building blocks, ie not something that I would call complex. Now I realise this doesn't mean the extent is easy to ring...something like Mermaid Doubles, for example (a principle with 24 changes per division, where the plain course generates the extent) has a fairly featureless line that requires some focus (see http://ringing.org/main/pages/method?match=Mermaid&name-query=Search), but ultimately the extent divides into 5 equal parts and so the extent can hardly be thought of as being maximally complex.

Conversely, an extent can formally be an asymmetric one-part, but still consist of many identical or similar building blocks and hence not really be "complex". Ander Holroyd's 120 of original doubles (http://www.math.ubc.ca/~holroyd/comps/o5.txt) would be an example here, as perhaps would something like a spliced 120 of say St Simon's Doubles-type methods.

Turning to the well-studied case of extents of minimus, Ander has analysed the 10792 possible extents that don't have jump changes at <http://www.math.ubc.ca/~holroyd/minimus.html>. Ignoring rotations, reversals and mirror images this becomes 162 extents, of which 75 are asymmetric 1-parts, which seems a necessary but not sufficient condition when looking for maximal complexity.

I'm not quite clear in my own mind what I'm asking for (!), but, people, here are a few questions:

*         Are there appropriate standard tests / algorithms that can be used in such a scenario, ie here to rank extents in terms of their intrinsic complexity?

*         What is best to measure for this? Minimal repetition of blocks of notation?  Or can this fall down somehow (eg with the spliced doubles examples, which has a lack of identical patterns but still much structure)?

*         Have people got examples of "complex" extents on higher numbers than minimus?

*         How would something that has a definite design-principle like <http://bellringers.net/pipermail/ringing-theory_bellringers.net/2008-March/002011.html> come out on such metrics?

Thoughts and answers appreciated...

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening. The Royal Society of Chemistry is a charity, registered in England and Wales, number 207890 - Registered office: Thomas Graham House, Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 0WF