[r-t] Complexity of extents

David Richards dadeece at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 07:03:40 UTC 2013

Matthew Frye wrote:
>> The choice of how to "write out" the extent clearly becomes key, perhaps
even moreso than the choice of compression.

Couldn't agree more.

It does raise the obvious question: How 'complex' are procedurally
generated blocks of ringing? (By 'procedural' in this case, I mean simple
rules like call 'Bob' when bell m is about to make 2nds, 'Single' when bell
n is about to make 2nds).

Procedurally generated touches will (presumably) score quite highly [more
complex] on an entropy-based measure of complexity if they're written out
in either grid or place-notation form. This goes back to Ander's point
about Kolmogorov Complexity.
If you're interested primarily in calling complexity, it seems almost like
you could do with a Sudoku-like method of removing redundant information in
the touch before presenting to your entropy estimator.

Cheers,
Dave.