[r-t] A new Spliced Surprise Major canon

Simon Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Mar 4 12:55:10 UTC 2013

I think this is a great idea, and evidently the results are already
worthwhile.

A long time ago (probably around 1997) I remember asking, on the
change-ringers list, whether anyone had tried using genetic algorithms
for composition search. At that time it didn't seem as if anyone had
looked into it, as far as I remember.

Your idea of using conventional search to recover from the introduction
of falseness is very nice - and clearly you've shown that it works well
in practice. It's a clever way of getting round the problem that truth
is a global property, not something that you just want to optimise locally.

Simon