[r-t] 5060 Grandsire Cinques - 18 part

Thomas Perrins thomas_perrins at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 12:25:35 UTC 2014

This week I (re?)discovered an amazingly simple yet highly musical composition of Grandsire Cinques.
It is an 18 part, which returns back into the plain course (or E098765432 course) at the end of each part. At halfway and end, you merely shorten the 'a' course via a single substitution to bring you up the opposite set of 9 parts. The composition is outlined below with some of its musical properties. I haven't done a complete musical analysis of the runs within the changes, but there must be several hundreds of runs of 6+ counted anywhere within the change (inc 172 at the front or back).

The whole courses used in the peal are simply the plain course (or E098765432 course) with the hunt bell (2 or E) swapped with one of the other bells, Thus:

234567890E
324567890E
432567890E
534267890E
634527890E
E345678902

(Likewise for the courses starting E098765432)

All of these courses contain runs of 5+ at the front or back, with the exception of the courses 734562890E and 60987E5432, however both of these courses contain double the amount of 4 bell runs.

Tom Perrins.

5060 Grandsire Cinques - TMP

234567890E
2537496E80 a
27593E4068 a
297E503846 a
2E90785634 a
20E8967453 a
2806E49375 a
268403E597 a
24638507E9 a
E098765432 b

Repeat.

a = 1,2,3,4,s5,s14
b = 1,2,s3

404 Runs of 4+ at the front or back, including 172 of 6+.

All:
xxx34567890's
xxx4567890E's
xxx98765432's