[r-t] Kent and Oxford variations

Ted Steele teds.bells at tesco.net
Sun Apr 6 08:50:49 UTC 2014

On 05/04/2014 22:59, Mark Davies wrote:
> Does anyone have a good collection of historical compositions in the
> various Kent+Oxford variations (Ilkeston, Liversedge etc)?

No, not me anyway; but by coincidence I was attempting the other day to
recall how these variations are formed; I would be pleased to be reminded.

We used to ring one where, if ringing Kent, the tenors would make Oxford
places to keep out of the slow; was that Ilkeston? Possibly, but Morris
says "In the Ilkeston variation each course is rung as Kent, except
Oxford is rung for one lead to prevent the tenors “going into the hunt”.
I thought we rang it as half lead spliced, i.e the places only changing
in one half of the lead when either of the tenors was involved. I
understand that there are Killamarsh, Worcester, Granta and Liversedge
variations but I thought that Killamarsh was now regarded as a method in
its own right. Granta was, I think another way of keeping the tenors off
the front. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Ted