[r-t] Minor Blocks: Poll results

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Fri Aug 1 14:42:29 UTC 2014

Tim wrote,

> I'm therefore wondering if an improvement to Mark's suggestion would be to
> leave the Method Collections as a single level structure where all
> replications and rotations have equal status as methods, and then add a
> group identifier property that links methods that are replications or
> rotations of each other

No, I don't like this! It seems really useful for the method libraries
to have a way of recording aliases, but, to address Chris Adams' very
real concerns, there ought to be a "top level" which looks just like the
method libraries do now.

After reflection, I think the canonical name of a method probably ought
to be the one which is rung first to a peal, hence following the usual
naming conventions. Existing "aliased" methods, such as Grandsire/New
Grandsire, Original/Plain Hunt, Bastow/Cloister/St Helens all have
reasonably obvious canonical names - that given in the current libraries.

Furthermore, I think the rules around describing what methods you have
rung can be reasonably relaxed. If you ring a peal of New Grandsire, you
could call it New Grandsire or Grandsire according to taste; that is,
either the matching alias or the canonical name are fine. Of course, if
you rang both Grandsire and New Grandsire in the same peal (spliced
"restarts") then both names should be used. Perhaps it would not be
acceptable (too confusing) to use an existing known alias for some other
method, or at least another alias of the same method.

Finally, I am not sure I completely understand Robin's objection. This
particular proposal does not introduce any new method classifications or
change anything about the current Decisions, except to allow method
aliases to be recorded in the libraries. Surely it is a good thing if we
can finally recognise names as popular and long-lived as Plain Hunt and
Cloisters, which cannot currently be found in the libraries?

And of course there is a future benefit, in that it allows us to deal
nicely with methods with divisible leads, in the proposed new world order.