[r-t] Quarters of cyclic major

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Dec 4 13:07:52 UTC 2014

Hayden Charles wrote:

> Simon Gay wrote on 04/12/2014 12:06:
>> There is one in an email from me to the list some time ago. It's buried
>> in an email about compositional ideas that give peals of maximus and
>> quarters of major. Maybe you can find it, or I can resend when I get
>> back to my office.
>
> Simon's message was sent on 21 March 2014 if anyone is looking.

And his composition was:

1400 Spliced Major (4m)
S.J.Gay
             2345678
-------------------
Norwich     4263857
Battersea   3527486
Hull        6482735
Hull        5738264
Battersea   8674523
Norwich     7856342
Oxford DLB  8735264
Oxford DLB  7823456
7 part

Nice idea, but the methods are far too dull for my taste,
and the frontworks are pretty lacking in music.  There's one
run off the front in each lead of Hull, two (next to each
other at a dodge) in Battersea, and none in Norwich.
Surely it must be possible to find methods which are both
more interesting and more musical?

RAS