[r-t] Poll on consecutive blows in the same position

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Sun Dec 28 00:49:42 UTC 2014

On 28 Dec 2014, at 00:39, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Tim Barnes <tjbarnes23 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> C.  No bell can make the same place consecutively for all of a method's
>> changes (so for a method with n changes, the limit would be n-1).
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble decoding this. Are "all of a method's
> chanages" all the changes in a whole course of a method? Or are you
> talking about a single lead of things that are divisible into leads (which
> all CCC-approved methods are today, but not non-method blocks, and, I
> believe, not necessarily "methods" as we're trying to define them).

I believe this is most sensibly defined on a single lead, but I wouldn't imagine this to be anything resembling a final wording.

Is there a actually distinction between this criterion applied to a lead and applied to a plain course? It looks to me that the two are identical if your plain course is made of the same lead repeated a number of times. Although, as you point out, using the plain course is very unnatural for many of the methods under discussion.

I don't think most of the things we are discussing can be sensibly applied to rule-based methods. I think that's a whole other discussion to be had at a whole other time.

MF