[r-t] Poll on consecutive blows in the same position

Dale Winter moikney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 00:44:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Alexander Holroyd <holroyd at math.ubc.ca>
wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Matthew Frye wrote:
>
>  how is a dixonoid not a finite sequence of place notations?
>>>

>> If differs in conception and (usual) description. Dixon's Bob would
>> usually be described by a set of rules, not a sequence of place notation.
>>

> I really don't understand the distinction.  A sequence of place notations
> can be described in many different ways, but it is still the same sequence.

My objection is that the "place notation" for Dixon's depends on the lead
end at which you start it. If I ring one lead of plain bob and then splice
into Dixon's  then I ring one place notation for the Dixons part; if I ring
two leads of plain bob then splice into Dixons I need a a different place
notation. There is no fixed place notation that a deaf and blind ringer
(with perfect rythm) can learn that will successfully produce dixons
whenever they are instructed to ring it (in spliced).

Certainly we could define a method to by a cycle (or path) in some
appropriate Cayley graph. Maybe mathematically that would be easier, but I
don't think it would be descriptive of how people ring. Rightly or wrongly
we seem to care about that. By which I mean I think a majority of the list
does, and if not then a) I'll quiet up abot this and b) I really don't
understand anything that has been said here for quite a while.

> Perhaps the related concept of composition would be illuminating here. The
> standard 3-part extent of Cmabridge minor can be described in many
> different ways, among them: Wrong Home Wrong ; 3 5 3 ; pp-p-pp-pp. Perhaps
> the first is "observation-based", etc.  But they are all the same
> composition, surely?  A band whose conductor who thinks of it in the
> observation-based way is surely not ringing a different extent from the
> others?

it's a fair point.  We do seem to care about how people ring things, we
don't seem to care about how conductors learn compositions. It's not a
distinction I'd care to defend as logical.